09 July 2011

Now What?


I'm in trouble ...

I know, I know - you are wondering ...


... is it that right kidney stone?


... is it a new infection?


... has her computer broken?


... has she 'crashed' and now laid up in bed?


... did her orchid die?


... did Charlie run away from home?


OK, most days I'm sort of hoping for the latter ...


But, no. You would be oh so wrong if you picked something about ME.

You see, this afternoon my hubbie wandered into the room-that-should-be-a-dining-room-but-we-have-couches-in-it-so-I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-room and plonked down these two beauties:


Lovely aren't they? Even the backs are pretty ... And I am oh-so-happy that this little 'wing' thingy was structural so that he could not do away with it. There was the EXACT cute little 'wing' thingies at the sides on the top of the dresser in the photo he was basing his dresser off of, and he left them off. I was sad. I personally thought they were adorable. So now I have my wings: Here's the thing ...

I was laying in bed the other evening reading my Kindle and overheard a conversation between Gary and Ryan. Hmmm, am I sure I got the words right? The bedroom is sort of tucked in there ... Oh, yes, I could hear since Gary was downstairs and Ryan was upstairs and they were having to shout to hear each other.
Gary steps into the house from the garage - covered with sawdust, a little smile on his face and just a wee bit of crazy in his eyes (yes, I CAN see this from my bedroom ...)

Gary: 'Ryan, will you look ONE MORE TIME for a bed that you like that I can build?'

Ryan: 'You shoot down all my ideas, I don't know what to do about that.'

Gary: 'For one thing, DON'T start by browsing the IKEA website! I WILL NOT BUILD SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE IT CAME FROM IKEA!'

Ryan: 'Dude ... so what is the big deal? Why so desperate sounding?'

Gary: 'Because I am going to finish the chairs soon and really don't have anything to move on to. It is my therapy and keeps me from the 'ledge'. I am pretty sure things won't be pretty. I will start beating the dog and your mother. Stuff like that. And IT WILL BE ALL YOUR FAULT.'

Lori: 'Um .... Hey ...'

Ryan: 'But I like IKEA's designs.'

Gary: 'I will kill myself before I build something that looks like IKEA. Really, try again and see if you can find something, before I start playing with knives.'

Ryan: 'Um,OKaaaaaay ....'

Gary stomps back into the garage.

Alright, alright - I was paraphrasing, because I don't have a perfect recall, BUT the discussion about the crazy and the beatings I DO remember.

I am thinking that things could get a little ... 'interesting' around here in the next few months ...


And because I couldn't stop playing in Photoshop: Here is our chair from a photo I took of it out in the garage before it was finished. Since we cannot put the cushion in until tomorrow, I improvised a 'final photo'. This was taken before the finish was put on just to check that the cushioned seat fit fine. So I took out the background, gave it a finish, and dumped it on fancy paper.

Therefore I can show you one of our new chairs: Wish me luck ...

4 comments:

Cherri said...

Very nice. We could all start to request Gary-built items for Christmas, and I know we haven't been exchanging Christmas gifts for a while now, but since Gary is desperate for therapy, we can just consider it good for his sould and accept graciously whatever he chooses to build for us! Plus it would have the added bonus of keeping you and Charlie safe!

Or . . . he could actually contract out with some high-end furniture store and make some money off of these (I know, not nearly what they would be worth with the hours invested and the tools he has purchased, but again, to save you and Charlie . . .)

Vicki said...

SO gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Kristie said...

My dresser drawer just broke into pieces so for you sake and Gary's I would be willing to sacrafice. It doesn't have to look like it came from Ikea - he can choose. I would take whatever he built. If Ryan isn't willing to, I will!

Alisha said...

I seriously love your family dynamics. You all are hilarious.