08 July 2011

Pretty Things ...


My marvelous, kind, beautiful, wonderful friend Linda gave me an orchid for my birthday. If you happen to recall, I was sort of kind of in a 'walking coma' ('waking coma'? 'wandering coma'? 'idiotic coma'?) around'ish my birthday for about 3 weeks.

And, as all those in comas are wont to do - I did nothing ...



... seriously



...absolutely nothing.

OK, maybe I breathed a little bit. But 'Worthless Lump of Flesh' was a perfect description for me at the time. Thus - no photo's of the lovely little guy and severe neglect of him on my part. Poor darling ....

Once I woke up, wanted to live again and was out of bed, I decided that maybe I would water the sad little puppy and see how things went. But, if things were to go as they ALWAYS went when it came to me and orchids, well - lets just say it wasn't going to be pretty.

Orchids and I have a very strained, adversarial relationship. I really don't know why this is, or who started it, but whenever I have an orchid, I get to enjoy it for about EXACTLY one week then all the blossoms fall off and no matter how much I baby it, no new blossoms appear - ever. And, let me tell you - I LOVE orchids (in that Love / Hate way ...) and have had many, many come live with me.

In fact, I thought that all the blossoms falling off, then living with a curvy stick and funky-piled-up-low-to-the-ground (pot) leaves was what you had for the rest of its natural life. Then, one day Linda told me that an orchid that I had given her had all the blossoms fall off, then blossomed all over again .... just like that.


Hmmmm...



Weird.


So ... back to my gift. I received it on May 24th and the guy is HAPPY!! That was 45 days ago! Over SIX WEEKS! And isn't he just the prettiest little thing you have ever seen?

I'm rethinking my 'orchid care regimen' ... maybe babying them is not the thing to do.

The next one I get I am going to ignore it, neglect it, not water it until it begs and begs and just generally abuse it.

Probably yell at it and stuff.

I think it just might work ...







And for y'alls out there that didn't see this on my post at Facebook - we had the prettiest sunset a couple of days ago:



S0 - stunning ... I know - but I am taking photographs again. Just a few, but I might just get there ...

3 comments:

Linda said...

I saw your picture of the sunset. It is breathtaking. I feel badly that I was not on my patio when It happened! That picture is a so peaceful.

As for the orchid---I think neglect is the answer. It works for me. I am horrible at keeping plants alive. I have an african violet I have been trying to get to bloom for months. I have tried every trick I can find with no success. Do you have any ideas?

Cherri said...

Orchids are my next plant purchase! Seriously, a plant that likes neglect? My kind of plant.

Loved the photos.

Jennifer said...

The flower is pretty. No really, it is. I'm still thinking about The Chocolate Bar is all.