23 April 2010

The Wonders of Wikipedia


So, I'm sitting at my desk, studying my medium sized camera. Trying to get through a users manual that some Japanese technically minded robot wrote - IN JAPANESE and was translated by some very poor translator robot ... never mind - I KNOW my medium sized camera can do the same things as my large camera - but since there is not a book writing about it in English - for normal people - I may never really know how to use the features.

Frustrated, I look up and see this lovely lizard hanging about on my birdhouse (a common occurrence, mind you):


Then things get weird. He starts bobbing up and down - very fast push ups - and doing who knows what with himself to make this thingy:


Now, I am curious by nature and needed to know. My guess was this bizarre behaviour was some sort of courting ritual since men and courting rituals are bizarre in most every species I've run into ...

but I digress ...

I seriously typed in 'lizard red neck thingy' into google and discovered via Wikipedia that it is called a 'dewlap' - in many species.

I continue on and discover this particular lizard is called an 'Anolis' and that he does attract attention by doing push ups and blowing up his 'dewlap' - satisfied and very pleased with myself I continued to read that they also do it to intimidate rivals - which, who know - maybe he felt intimidated by that woman spying on him from inside the house?

I SERIOUSLY don't know how I survived before Google and Wikipedia - two of my most favourite things on this planet!

6 comments:

Liz said...

I'm with ya! Thanks to google and wikepedia, this underqualified mother never has to help her kids with their homework. Sad, really.

Ryan said...

I still dont know how research papers were done B.G. (before google)

Unknown said...

Benjamin (my 7 year old) thinks that lizard is cool. When I told him my friend took the picture he wanted to know if you caught it after you took its pic.

Lori Hurst said...

Sarah - tell him, nah - I just let him strut for the ladies until he gave up and went home ...

kimberly said...

Google and Wikipedia are essential librarian skills. I'm always looking some crazy thing up on the internet so that I know what the customer is actually trying to ask me.

There was this one morning a few weeks ago when Wikipedia was down. It was painful, let me tell you.

Anonymous said...

Lori, always remember and never forget: It's far better to turn on a lizard sitting on a fence, than to turn one on lurking in a lounge.
Cool pictures. Take care.