09 April 2010

A Funny Thing Happened on the way to Sonic ...


... this morning.

My day started out normal enough, regular routine - plus a bit of jet lag. Of course this includes "Charlies Outing" or to put it more bluntly - feeding my addiction and heading to Sonic for my drink of choice - but Charlie does like it.

I veered a wee bit from the routine by grabbing my cameras since my friend had told me where a field of bluebonnets were right on Morton - so within minutes of Sonic and my house. I decided I would swing by and snap a few shots ... get it out of my system until I had time and my eyes could stay open next week for my 'Wildflower Hunt'.

Went to Sonic.


Went to the Morton street field.


Small, but - hey - they were bluebonnets!!! So I snapped a couple dozen photos.


Turned my car around, pulled out of the field ...


.... and turned left (my house would have been a right turn). What was I doing? Charlie asked what was I doing? I told her it wasn't enough - I needed more and that like it or not, we were off on a mini hunt. Without a map.

Not good - since I wanted to head to a small town and really didn't know the way. Since I had little gas, I stopped, fueled up, bought a map and off we went. Charlie just hunkered down for the ride.

One hundred forty six miles later, I pulled back into my garage. But I did get a few good shots. I always wanted photos of cows in a field of bluebonnets and never saw that - my theory being that they ate them. So ... a few photos that made my day ....

And then ... because I didn't want to unpack, go through the basket of mail, clean the house or do anything else reasonably responsible, I played with them in Photoshop. Took most the entire day!

I EXCEL at doing nothing ...






















My plans are to head out again Monday - I think I have a brand new addiction ...

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love it. I particularly love the fences and the solitary cow in the flowers. Have you named him?

I read in the paper that it will be a great spring for wildflowers. Rainy falls and long chilly winters are their cup of tea.

Lori Hurst said...

Nah - I guess when you find a koala friend in the wild and name him (I don't know if you read that post - "Perfect Moments - Part Deux") naming cows just seems so mundane ...

Kristie said...

Those cows in the first picture look like they are posing for the camera. Too cool. I wanted to get pictures of my family in the bluebonnets this year, but don't think we will be able to find the time :(

Andrea Dent said...

Lori! Wow, these are fantastic! Are you going to share your secret spots? I want to get some pictures with my kids and the flowers this year! You've got some serious talent my friend!

Lori A said...

Beautiful! You are amazing!

Lori Hurst said...

Andrea - I took 359 from Richmond to I-10. I then got off of I-10 at the second Sealy exit and followed the signs to New Ulm (1094). From there I followed the signs to Brenham (109). At 36 - since I was worried about my dog having not had water (this was an unplanned trip) I headed south on 36 never reaching Brenham (didn't see anything worth photographing on 36).

Court said...

Great photos and excellent location!

Of course, I loved the koala photos, too!