29 April 2010

I've Lost My Mind ...

So ... a while back I lost something ...


... you might remember ...


It was a clamp .... I forget the proper name right now ...


I blogged about it, put a photo on my blog, you know ... if anyone has seen these please call me .... that sort of thing. Looked kinda like this:


But not those, because, well, they were lost so I had to take a photo off the web. But now?

BUT NOW?

Do you realize HOW MANY HOURS I LOOKED FOR THESE? THE HOURS I MULLED IT OVER IN MY MIND - "What did I do last ...", "What were you holding when you went to put them away", those types of questions - OVER, AND OVER AND OVER ...

I had personally decided that they had been thrown away - accidentally - just dumped with a bunch of other junk BECAUSE I HAD LOOKED EVERYWHERE. EVERYWHERE! TWICE. THREE TIMES. SOMETIMES FIVE TIMES ...

I CLEANED OUT 5 CUPBOARDS JUST BECAUSE I THOUGHT THAT MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, I HAD STUFFED IT IN THAT PARTICULAR CUPBOARD. FIVE! CUPBOARDS!


Went to get a gift bag today. I have a roll-under-the-bed-thingy that holds gift bags and tissue. GIFT BAGS. AND. TISSUE. That's it - nothing else. NADA.

But when I went to get a bag just now - guess what was just sitting there, all pretty, prissy and smug? Yeah - the CLAMP.

WHO PUTS A CLAMP IN A GIFT BAG CONTAINER? WHO?


If I were paranoid, and maybe I am, I would say Gary hid them there, just to dick with me ... but we needed them too badly for him to do that. And anyway - he doesn't even probably know we have a roll-under-the-bed-gift-bag-thingy anyway.
I have SERIOUSLY lost my mind ....

5 comments:

Liz said...

how funny..i have an under the bed gift bag tissue holder as well...looks almost identical. i'm gonna start checking in it for lost items! glad you found em' and if gary was trying to dick with you, he's the master!

Cherri said...

So funny - I think it was Ryan. It has been his long-stated goal of driving you crazy, and apparently he is good at achieving his goals!

Vicki said...

I say, as long as you are so distressed about misplacing things - that is a good sign. It is when you come to expect such behavior of yourself that there is a problem.

I buy multiples of things that are normally misplaced - memory sticks, pocket knives, kitchen scrubbies.

I have decided to accept "far from ideal". When I balance my checkbook, I have an entry "random error". If its under $50, I figure it will work out eventually. It normally does.

We lost Steve's gym bag a few years back. Whenever we can't find things, we figure they are in the gym bag. Do you happen to have it in your tissue container?

Lori Hurst said...

Vicki - you are making me feel so much better! I balanced my checkbook last night and, yeah - if it ain't to the penny - I freak - but it was so I was OK.

I appreciate the advice on what to do as this memory thing progresses though ... will start buying things in bulk ...

... and no, Steve's gym bag (filled with all your other lost detrius) was not in the tissue container ....

sorry.

kimberly said...

So a few weeks ago, I got a letter that made me violently angry. I immediately called home, but mom didn't answer. So I put the letter down in my tiny apartment.

When mom called back ten minutes later, I went to get the letter so I could read it to her and could not find it anywhere. Seriously. It took me 5 minutes to find it. 5 minutes of me ranting and raving on the phone and wondering how in the world I could have lost a letter I WAS JUST HOLDING in a 600 square feet apartment.

As it turns out, I had put it back in my work bag, which is where I stick mail between the mailbox and getting up the stairs. Why I read the letter, called home, and then stuck it back in that bag instead of on the counter is beyond me.

The best part? I did the exact same thing not an hour later. OH YES. I am that dumb.

So, yeah. Not impending insanity, just being human.