03 April 2010

Perfect Moments - Part Deux

There was a time, a few months back when I was sad about my soon to be ending experience in Australia. But I realized that I had my Perfect Moment (The Sydney Opera House photos at night with fireworks) and I realized I was satisfied ....

... until it came time to visit Melbourne and I read about day trips from Melbourne to the Grampains National Forest. ONE SENTENCE. And I was hooked. To paraphrase it said: "Make sure to look up because you might spot a koala in a tree." And I WANTED IT. I so badly wanted a photo of a koala in the wild. I put it in the itinerary.

Don't mind the 3 and 1/2 drive to get there. Don't mind I had no idea where in this huge National Park they were talking about. Don't mind the minuscule chance I had of actually spotting a small grey furry butt in a grey tree. If there was a CHANCE AT ALL I was willing to take it. Days later, thinking how stupid this was, but still willing to go, realized my only chance of spotting a koala was if a ton of other people had already done the same thing and there was a crowd taking photos.

But ... I get ahead of myself. Saturday - the day for our Great Ocean Road drive. To see the 12 Apostles, The Arch, the (recently fallen) London Bridge. And off we went for a very long day.

Along the way we drove by a sign for a lighthouse. It looked pretty and Gary asked if we should turn around. I usually say no, not wanting to bother him when I am bothering him so much to stop and let me take photos, but this time - I wanted that lighthouse photo - so I said "yes, lets turn around".

And we did. Started driving in to the lighthouse and spotted a group of people pointing their cameras high up in the eucalyptus trees. Could it be? Could it really, really be? My most magical wish come true? A koala?

No.


Not a koala ...



FOUR KOALAS!!!!

I think I jumped out of the car before it stopped as Gary said 'go, go'. And ran to the small group and looked up and spotted the two in the first tree:



I bet I have 100 photos of them!


Gary joined me and we started spotting koalas ALL OVER THE PLACE! I am in love with each and every one I photographed - the sleepy, the awake, the cute, the ugly ... so I tried to put one photo in of each one:








Was this my 'Perfect Moment'? No - it was fantastic. It was magical, but there was no defined moment in time that was perfect.



Was this it? The "Perfectly Poised Koala"? Close:




But, no, he is just "Perfectly Poised Koala".


We decided to traipse off the road and see if we could find some more:

And suddenly, we spotted this little guy:


He was awake, alert and inquisitive.

As we took a ton of photos, oddly, he decided to descend the tree he was in:


Gary and I were on opposite sides of the tree had come down, and we looked at each other ... wondering - what comes next? I shrugged at Gary and started following the little dude to the next tree over. He was looking for something on the ground. Very concentrated on his task. I don't know what he had lost, but it must have been important.

Every now and again he would look up at me as I inched closer and closer to him:


And then it happened. I realized that THIS WAS IT! The ultimate experience. If I had wanted to, I could have reached out and touched his soft grey/brown fur. I asked Gary to take my picture (something I NEVER DO) to document my "Perfect Moment":


I kept taking photos as he clearly didn't care that I was:


And then he did the strangest thing. I had walked away having more than enough close ups of the little guy. He wandered over to where Gary was standing and sniffed his pants! I have to say, this is almost a 'Perfect Moment' for me because it is most definitely an almost 'Perfect Photo':


He turned away from Gary and ascended the tree at whose base he was so interested in:

I smiled, he posed, I snapped ten more shots and we parted ways:

My new, beautiful, wild friend who had given me a gift. The gift of a 'Perfect Moment'

7 comments:

Alison Bodily said...

Absolutely beautiful! You have such talent. Thanks for sharing, Lori.

Laura said...

What an amazing experience! I love the pictures. Kimberly thinks you should name the koala of the "perfect moment". Think of a good name - we'll be waiting.

Cherri said...

He must have had absolutely no fear of you! That is a wonderful experience.

Anonymous said...

Lori, what a great moment! Those are the memories that cling to us for ever. Thanks for sharing the experience.
AJ

Lori Hurst said...

Laura - his name is T.L. (The Lighthouse) we had gone in to see The Lighthouse and never did! The parking lot was full - they were charging money and I clearly did not care anymore if I had photos of a Lighthouse - so my little guy I named T.L. - I went down that road to see The Lighthouse!

Vicki said...

What beautiful pictures! How many times do we set out sights on something, plan to do it, make the effort, and have it turn out perfectly? How great that it worked out!

Shel said...

Perfect!!! That's for sure! T.L. is tha bomb!!