10 April 2010

How Weird is This?

I have a gmail account that I needed to make to create my blog, but it is not my primary e-mail account and I rarely get on to it.

Today I needed to get on it for reasons I won't go into here, but found two of the strangest e-mails (plus one from a friend - so sorry - I never check that account). They were both recent and both in different ways said that they had 'stumbled upon' ... 'found' ... 'discovered' my blog and were featuring it in their 'Blog Awards' section.

Of course there is a catch ... they would like me to put their ad on my blog. I checked out their websites and they are legit websites ... at least they look like a real website ...

So - questions for you:

1) Do y'all get these e-mails?

2) Do you think it is spam (it was not in spam ... and I am featured on the awards page of the website they mention)?

3) Do you think I just let in a Trojan Horse onto my lovely computer (I was horribly curious to see if my blog was really 'featured' so, yes, I clicked on the link .... bad, bad, Lori)?

4) Are they just pranksters with a very elaborate con?

I have never seen anything like them and I am horribly confused as to why they would pick on me. Of course, I am not going to put their ad on my site (HP & Kodak - at least not no name companies) - I am an idiot, but not that big of an idiot ...


but then again ...

... maybe I am ...

I did click on the link ... curiosity killed the cat - is it going to kill my computer too?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori, I never have received any unsolicited awards like that, but they kind of remind me of one of those Who's Who publications.

"You've been selected to be listed in the Who's Who of aspiring (fill in the blank), just send us $35.00 to receive your leather bound, gold filigreed edition. Act now!"

I'm always curious if my name would be in there with out the $35.00, and if I did ACT NOW!, who are these other poor suckers.

It's good to have you back tip toeing through the tulips so to speak. AJ

kimberly said...

I do know there are legitimate blog awards out there because some of the websites I love the most have won them.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. If the websites seem legit, I wouldn't worry about viruses. You could try going to some of the other blogs listed on the awards page, see what they did?