19 December 2009

Twenty Eight Years Ago Today ...

... I was a wee young'un and I got married. Boy, don't we look young?


I was in college and was never going to get married. Just get into medical school, become a doctor and die a spinster. A fine plan ... as plans go. But he turned my life up-side-down and quickly I realized that he was 'the one' and that my life plan was going to change - big time!

His dad thought we were too young, I was too young. That we would go the way of all young couples, I would get pregnant, drop out of school and that was no good. Education was very important to him. What he didn't realize at the time, but quickly came around ... was that education, my education, was important to ME. More important than he probably realized.

It worked out. I changed my major to something more accommodating. I needed / wanted to graduate before Gary was graduated and headed off to graduate school since I didn't want to transfer credits - so I doubled up my Calculus 202 and Calculus 203 and dug in.

The day we graduated with our Bachelors of Science:

Still babies! Yes?

We went to California, I worked at the Jet Propulsion Lab and he went to Cal Tech. Came back to Utah and built our first home:



And STILL we look like babies!

Then it happened. Jessie was born and my life went from 'Top of my Game', 'I can do anything', 'Super Computer Girl in a sea of Men' - take your pick - to ... well: 'Hell'. Learned a new vocabulary, words like 'in-utero bleed', 'mytopic suture', 'ventral septal defect' and my new home became the hospital.

Maybe that is when the aging process began.

We went through some tough times, and some tougher times and some happy times and some times that were indescribably joyful - you don't know how good life really, really is unless you know how shitty life can be.

And in a blink of an eye, we have two children who tower over me, I have 13 Christmas angels for my daughter in the cemetery up the street - and now:

We look old!
But happy!

I am not an easy woman to live with. Sick all the time, annoying, you name it - and still - he stays! It is the wonder of my life. And I am so grateful for him and all he does:

And as we were driving home from a wonderful dinner in a wonderful restaurant, he said: 'Here's to 28 years and at least 32 more' (apparently he only bought an 80 year old warrenty he said) and the first thing that came to mind was the wonder and awe that he was willing to put up with me!

Love you, happy anniversary and here's to growing old(er) together!

6 comments:

Court said...

Lori, this was a beautiful post. Life is indeed challenging, incredibly challenging sometimes. Congratulations on your {28 years and counting} success story!

Cherri said...

Way to make it to 28 - and you aren't supposed to have "old" written across your chests when taking a picture - and then talk about how old you are!

A.J. said...

It is truly ironic (regarding our posts), I promise I didn't peek. What's even better is that I finally get to see the face of the talented Lori Hurst (in focus), Happy Anniversary and Merry Christmas to both of you.
How lucky we both are to have found someone who looks beyond our imperfections and just loves us because. Be well, take care.
Talk to you later

Jennifer said...

I love this post! Happy Anniversary to you 2 fantastic weirdos! Perhaps you no longer look like a baby, but your hair is fabulous. Old people don't have fabulous hair.

Pops Stargell said...

Great post. Very inspirational. I needed that. It's so good to know people like you.

Vicki said...

Such a world class love story!