31 December 2009

New Years Eve ... Still ...


It is 1/2 hour before midnight and I have totally given up trying to upload the video into the blog I started at 4:30am this morning. I am bored - I was excited for the 8:30pm fireworks and was gravely disappointed when none appeared in the sky - it must have been a low lying display. I have high hopes for midnight - I have seen the photos - fireworks over the bridge, fireworks over the tall buildings - it could be a photo bonanza - but who knows ...

So I cut and pasted the stupid blog from this morning in here because I would so hate to waste a blog and the 'oh so much' effort I put into them:


Title: Ryan and the Emu
Four thirty'ish (am) on New Years Eve day here in Brisbane therefore I am wide awake while my boys blissfully sleep away the morning - thus a couple of blogs are going to emerge. (Note: OK, it was 4:30 when I started this, but I am trying to download a pretty large video which at home would make my computer pant, but here in Australia, there are limits on downloads and they go unbelievably slow - it just might take all day to download this blasted video - and I have an even cooler one I wanted to put in another blog ... sigh.)

First one (although you will most likely read them backwards): Ryan's complete and total fascination with the Emu.

Up until now, I don't believe I have even mentioned that there are various five to six foot emu's wandering around with the kangaroos. Gary tried to feed them the first time I was there with him and he about lost a digit to the pecking type of eating the emu's will do out of your hands so I really decided that since they were taller than me, could peck out my eye at any minute and looked ever so angry, that we would just steer clear of each other.

That was working fine until Ryan decided to fall in love with them. They are actually quite cute up close:


SO totally LOVE the head: the eyes, the cute little feather hair bob thing on the top of the head and that look like they would kill you if that were allowed at the Sanctuary:


Ryan made a new friend and had a good time communing and feeding 'what's his name' (he was littler):


There was one that had only one eye (OK, and a half) and I was making fun in a fairly nice way - but still - how would you like to be called 'monocle'? He decided that he had had enough and decided to show me how tall he was. I've never seen an emu 'rear up', but that is what he did and reached about seven feet - so I ran and hid behind Gary. Yeah - I'm that brave. I also now have a very healthy respect of the very lovely and not so friendly Emu.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

I love it! You folks always seem to find the fun in whatever you do.

A.J. said...

From what I know of Emus and cassowaries, it's their feet you need to watch out for, that front toe is a sharp weapon and will disembowel an attacker if threatened. Yikes!.