04 December 2009

Factoid


A little tidbit about New Zealand that you may or may not know.

It has sheep.

In fact, the South Island is riddled with sheep. It is rampant with sheep. It is rife with sheep. It is redolent with 'sheep'. It reeks of sheep.

I did not know this ...



In fact, after a few days of beautiful scenery intersperced by meadows of sheep and more meadows of sheep, we took a poll: how many sheep for each person living on the South Island (being the lesser inhabited island)? The highest we came up with was 4 to 1 - maybe I threw out a 10 to 1 but was not really being serious.

Looked it up today:

Population on the South Island: 1,027,500

Sheep on both islands of New Zealand: 47,200,000
Couldn't actually find the population on only the South Island, but did find the statement 'the majority of sheep' reside on the South Island - so ... 75%, 80% what would a majority be? I will be conservative and use 75%: 35,400,000 sheep

Thus - there are approximately 34 sheep per person on the South Island of New Zealand!

Apparently this is no secret - as this Bank Ad shows:


4 comments:

kimberly said...

I actually knew this about New Zealand. How, you ask? From my very favorite trashy British teeny-bopper book series (Angus Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison), wherein the Sex God moves to New Zealand.

I know, I know. *shakes head*

(I did not, however, know there were that many sheep. Good night. Is it worse than Wales?)

A.J. said...

Lori, Thank you, Thank you, for all the great pictures. The kiwi and the egg had me going for a moment. I like your dads sense of humor. Hope you guys had a good Thanksgiving, although being in New Zealand your celebration might have stuck out like a sore thumb. Be safe.
Talk to you later.

Liz said...

that is hilarious. who knew? not me, thats for sure. i dont like animals or know too much about them but those sheep are kinda cute! still, i think i'll stay where i am where there's a half sheep for every ten people.

Jennifer said...

Mutton, anyone?