07 August 2008

Last Bus

They call it the “Short Bus”. A moniker that is kinder than most I have heard in years past. Excited, and on the last day of Summer School she said “I do it myself” and headed off towards it with her backpack in hand. By my estimate, it was approximately her 3250th walk to that bus … and the last from our home.

The years fell away and in my mind’s eye I saw my small, beautiful child: long blond hair and braces on her skinny, wobbly legs. From the top step she turned, waved and shouted: “Bye Mom!” with that smile that radiates the entire spectrum of joy … and then was gone.

I stood there for a very long time after the bus had rounded the corner.

It is difficult to get my mind around August 19th on the bad days ... impossible on the good days.

6 comments:

Cherri said...

She is a beautiful girl, and you have a gift for touching the heart. I am so sad that you have had to deal with so much of this stress on your own. I really admire you!

Kelli Hooker said...

Thanks for your blog. It puts my sad whining into perspective.

I feel like my heart is broken to say "goodbye" to Jeffrey but I am so happy for him, too. Odd mix of emotions.

Val and Marceil said...

When one phase of life comes to an end, another must start. That is what life is all about. As we enter each of those phases we use the experience of the past to help us grow in the present and the future.

Dad

Vicki said...

Wouldn't it be great to have the ability to mix up the days we live - a slice from our time as a new parent interleaved with a day or two from now. I guess that's why we have to enjoy every stage. I have learned that sometimes life is just a roller-coaster ride and we have to hang on until it stops...

Jeff said...

You bring out the little girl in me... I was crying like a little kid - not a combat proven veteran. Be positive... just the start of an awesome chapter!!

Jodi said...

It made me cry too! Maybe you should consider becoming a writer! You can really draw the emotion! I love this picture.