14 August 2008

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

William Shakespeare, King Henry IV, Part II, Act IV, Scene II, Line 86....

I go to court on Monday (exactly 3 days, 23 hours and 42 minutes from now) to have Jessie 'committed' to Richmond State School. This, as I have mentioned, was news to me and for some reason bothered me and threw me for a loop. Everyone assured me it is just a formality, but I was still uncomfortable with the whole scenario. But maybe it was not the actual hearing itself that I was uncomfortable with ... Cue the Lawyer - Steve Monk: Attorney-At-Law and representing Jessie.

I thought that I would see him on Monday, sort of a court appointed lawyer – just showing up for the hearing, but yesterday he called and said he needed to speak with Jessie, make sure she understands what is happening to her. “You do realize that mentally she is 3 years old?” I asked, inferring that no amount of esplanin’ was going to get my daughter to understand. He said he reviewed the file and was under the impression that she talks incessantly. Not really understanding this sharp veer off topic – I had to agree with him. Someone had told me that they had obtained a special waiver that exempted Jessie from having to attend the hearing – my thinking: because she would not understand, maybe his thinking: she talks incessantly.

I asked him when he wanted to speak with her and he said he had time that afternoon – so yesterday it was. Jokingly I mentioned that it would be really, really great if he did not mention that she was going somewhere since that incessant talking? Well let’s say that it would become more incessant: perpetual, non-stop, constant, never-ending, unceasing, and unrelenting – not to mention really annoying. He said that was exactly what he needed to do – by law.

He went over to speak with her at Bonne’s since she was swimming in the pool and it was closer and more convenient for him from his ‘downtown’ Richmond office. Since I was home throwing up, I missed the chat, but Bonne said that he was very kind, told her she was going to be going to a new school and would she like that? Jessie said ‘yes’ (I wonder what would have happened if she had said ‘no’?). He also asked her if it would be OK if she didn’t go to the court hearing and Jessie indicated somehow that it was fine by her … so his job was done.

I picked her up approximately 21 hours ago and she has asked me if she is going to a new school, could she pack, could I take her, could daddy take her, etc at least 2000 times and she slept for a good 8 hours of this time. Ok, I get to multiply one question by 5 when she comes into my bedroom and pokes me in the eye and THEN asks me. I was up most of the night throwing up and was laying down today trying to get some sleep, Ryan is at work and she she has a gift of walking in and poking right as I am drifting off to sleep - so extra points.

She has no idea what she is talking about, but is super excited. I am happy that in her mind she is on her way to a new adventure, but it would be really cool if she would stop asking the same questions. She is already packed – taking the essentials in her backpack: Her Ariel quilt (a small quilt Linda made her previously – not the new one below), a woobie, a pack of princess cards and a book about dogs.
.
She is ready. My mind on the other hand is screaming: "I'm not ready!" about as often as she asks me if she is going to a new school.

*****

Also on the "Top Ten Things I Will Miss The Most" is Jessie's packing skills - and knowing how to bring just The Essentials: A handmade quilt: to keep her warm and remind her of her friend who loves her dearly, Princess cards: something to play with, Her dog book: something to read and her Woobie: something to comfort her and make her feel safe.

1 comment:

Val and Marceil said...

I thought Jessi'es choice of items for her suitcase were very insightful and show some signs of wisdom.

Dad