28 July 2008

It Takes a Village...

Last week Jessie did not go to school for two days. Why? Because she said “No" and refused to get out of bed. How do you make a 245 lb person get out of bed and into the tub? You don’t. I figured that out a while ago when I tried to physically take her clothes off and get her ready for school. A half hour later I had a bloody nose, locked in my bedroom and Jessie was naked with the run of the house. Why was I locked in the bedroom? It was not that I thought that she would hurt me again … it was that I was afraid I was going to hurt her – I was that mad. So we don’t approach this in a physical way anymore – I just tend to get mad … and hurt.

My friend has a pool and on Sunday she promised Jessie that if she went to school all week she could come swim. She went so far as to call at 6:00am this morning and talk to Jessie – which was a good thing since she was refusing to get out of bed and screaming “I hate you mom”. Jessie jumped right out of bed after talking to Bonnie and having poor Gary come up in a towel and speak with her also about getting up. It truly takes a village to get my daughter out of bed … I am such a loser….

Got her bathed, dressed, breakfast fed, snack in the backpack and the phone rings …. School has been canceled due to a power outage.

Yeah, Jessie understood….

2 comments:

Vicki said...

That is way funny - but what a wonderful neighbor. I do think it takes a village. Sometime children are just 'parent deaf'.

Cherri said...

Wow, what a challenge. Thank goodness for friends who are in tune! Steve definitely believes in Murphy's law when it comes to kids and trips.