25 September 2009

Google


I am a spy - I will admit it. I like to see who is reading my blog. I don't feel it needs to be password protected since I have my boundaries of what I will and won't blog about but I do like to see who is visiting.

So ... I watch.

I can see how someone gets on my blog, not necessarily who they are. Although, when one IP address pops up every now and again and is based in San Antonio - I will make the leap that it is Ryan. Same for other locales. I can see if someone googled my name to get in. I can see the phrase they googled.

And the all time number one thing that is googled if you take my name out of the equation is something that will 'hit' my blog entry:

"I do Stupid Things in the Middle of the Night"

This dumbfounds me and makes me sad for all those out there googling for stupid things to do in the middle of the night - however they word it. And, oh my, what a surprise when they click on the link to my blog and get a preface to the post below it. It must not be enticing enough, not a one has then clicked on 'The Beginning of the End' and I am glad. Since it was highly personal, I thought it would be there, and then scroll off, never to be revisited. But week after week someone googles 'stupid things to do in the middle of the night' or some other phrase and comes very close to something that was borderline unblogable (the only reason it was 'blogable' is that years had passed and I felt like I needed to post it - don't know why).

But who googles 'stupid things to do in the middle of the night'? It makes me sad. I am sorry for them since it seems desperate, maybe a teenager having fun, but feels more like desperation.

I wonder what other things are googled by sad, lonely, desperate people?

3 comments:

Cherri said...

Okay, now I need to google "stupid things to do in the middle of the night" and remember what you posted - I'm drawing a blank! How do you track all of that?

Court said...

You should have been in the FBI during the Hoover administration. You've got some mad spying skillz!

Unknown said...

I never read the post you referred to until today. Ditto what Jennifer said in her comment; I couldn't say it as well. What is it about writing like that that I'm drawn to? I guess because it's real. Thanks for sharing it, Lori. And for sharing others like it that leave me a different person.