18 September 2009

Just When You Think it is Safe to Get Out of Bed ...



6:45 - Up, dress, 5 minutes surfing (gotta have my fix)
7:00 - Head to the doctors office (the ER said to follow up with my doc)

I had turned down Garys offer to take me since I was feeling well and didn't want to squander any more of his sawdust snorting time. And, anyways, how long could it take? A few hours at least - so left him home sleeping. It was a pretty drive on the Westpark tollway onto 59. I don't recommend taking photos while driving - but it was so pretty!


Got into my doctor and she said she wanted her own CAT Scan - I should have guessed that ... they always do...

Head downstairs to the ER (obligatory crossed foot photo for Laura):
While there, 2 nurses try to hit a vein in my already bruised and battered arms and failed, and failed and, well, failed.

The CAT machine was actually at another ER and I told them that I would have them draw labs and start the IV their just to get away from the evil nurses that apparently had only worked on oranges before me. I refused their transportation - I could drive there all by myself thank you very much. Got in my car and SERIOUSLY contemplated driving home.

Was a good girl - went to the other ER, demanded their best phlebotomist, shoved my arms in their faces and after a few "Oh, my!"s they quickly got a woman I would name my child after ... if I wasn't totally and completely done naming children ...

She put on a blood pressure cuff instead of a tourniquet and poked and prodded and poked and prodded and after 1/2 hour declared she was ready. In goes the 20 gauge needle and my arm exploded blood. She hit it on the first try! And it was a mighty gusher! She got the blood she needed for labs then inserted the IV - seriously fast becoming my most least favorite thing to do on this planet ...

(And if Kristie can post videos of popping a monster zit, NO ONE should be squeamish of my IV I'm very proud of it:)

Got an X-ray, because you just can't be irradiated enough in one week, I guess, then on to the CAT Scan and the lovely iodine chaser that leaves my veins on fire, my body feeling warm and covered in my own urine and a lovely bug, weed and copper penny stew taste in my mouth.

To add insult to injury, my doctor ordered that I then be given a liter or two of saline or glucose or what ever the hell was in the bag they told me would take about 1 1/2 hours to empty - and leave you freezing since I believe they refrigerate them right up until they pour it into your veins. They said people with pneumonia were often dehydrated and it was precautionary. I offered to drink a liter of water in front of them, but no go - hooked up to a bag of cold ... something and played with Facebook on my phone.

ER number 2 shot of the feet - was feeling creative ... and bored:
Soooo, that was my day so far - WONDERFUL. Makes you just want to swear off doctors all together the evil, tortuous bastards ... (mine is a very nice lady, but that sounded better and I was thinking of someone else).


Gary, yet again, wins the prize for productivity. While I was out trying my best to get BOTH arms to look like I am the most inept junkie in the city, Gary worked on his end tables (two for us, two for Ryan):


I find his clamping 'habit' funny - so I threw in a photo - I should count one day how many he has. As he always says "One can never have too many clamps..."


Sorry - I sound like a whiny butt - BECAUSE I AM A WHINY BUTT! Doctors ... can't seem to keep away from them - but I am going to give it a good try for a while ...

6 comments:

Laura said...

I'm sorry you had to spend another crappy day being poked, prodded, irradiated, and left with strange tastes in your mouth. Sounds like a terrible way to spend a day. I always thought my veins were hard to find, but yours seem like they are invisible! I hope you are able to stay away from all medical personnel for a while!

Thanks for the crossed feet picture! It truly completes your hospital story!

Gary is amazing! I love those tables he's making. I'm not sure it's right for a college kid to have such nice end tables, though.

Unknown said...

I can't believe you took that picture while in the driver's seat! Hope it wasn't manual focus or something crazy like that. Great pic, though.
I get a bit queasy when it comes to looking at needles that are poking into flesh. But zits, that I would be interested in.
Hope all that poking won't be for naught and won't be repeated soon.
Oh, and what's the top of the table made of? It looks neat. I agree with Laura about it being too nice for a college place. I could hold one and she can hold the other until he graduates.

Lori Hurst said...

They are solid oak with a black formica inlay.

The picture wasn't that difficult - just my baby camera, auto focus and held it up to the window and shot through it.

Yeah, about those being end tables for Ryan ... I'm really starting to like them and I am thinking that I will say he can 'use' them for a while - then if we ever get a bigger room that requires 4 end tables - I will steal them back!

Vicki said...

What a wild day. I trust they found absolutely nothing to warrant torturing you all day. That is horrible!!! You have such an entertaining way of telling such a yucky experience.

Shel said...

Sheesh Lori! I am so sorry! You deserve... well, something MASSIVE..HUGE..definitely to not be sick and poked and prodded anymore.

Gary's work is Amazing!

Kristie said...

Wow - That is a totally stinky day. I would hate doctors if I was you! The IV picture comes no where close to the zit!! Nice try!

I love those tables - do you ever lend Gary out to make other people furniture??