10 September 2009

Do I Look Like a FedEx Truck?


Don't answer that.

I don't know what it is about travelling and hooking up with my significant others somewhere else that has me schlepping piles of stuff that is not mine with me on my trip - but never fails ... apparently: I deliver.

Our suitcase situation is interesting - we keep taking stuff to Australia and then not needing the suitcase on the way back - so just leaving them there. Thus my selection of suitcases for my trip up to Utah / Idaho this weekend is more limited than usual. I know that if I went into our ginormous garage attic that I would find more suitcases ... somewhere, but that would just be too much effort on my part - and, well, it's dark ... and creepy ... and the corners are full of shadows and I am quite sure things lurking, waiting to jump out on me ... so I am left with exactly two options. This puppy:



or a smaller one that's actually a carry on. Not a problem - it is only 4 days ... but when you start talking about a wedding and a quick day trip into Yellowstone to take photos, you are talking about very differing wardrobes. Plus - wedding - ugh - makeup, hair dryer, the works - stuff I rarely use much less stick in a suitcase and take with me anywhere.

Still - doable. Then the requests / orders start pouring in. A coat for Gary (very bulky), a travelling iron, and his American cell phone (fair enough) and Ryan: ordered a book bag - bulky - and after doing the laundry I found a bunch of his socks, so they go in also.

Now things are looking not so good. Two winter weight coats take a significant bite out of my space. I start throwing things in (my flight is at 9:00 am so need to get up, quickly shower and go). And for the first time in my life I seriously had to lay down on the suitcase to get it to shut.

So there it sits - and I am afraid it is going to explode ...

And here's the thing ... I just realized that I have to retrieve something from said suitcase to use before leaving in the morning - not another option.

This is not good ... not good at all. It is looking like a trip to that dark, cavernous, maybe bat filled attic is in my very near future ...

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ha ha ha ha! Ah, that title had me jumping on your blog! You be one fool-travelin' family!

Court said...

That is one sweet retro suitcase. have a great time on your trip!

Unknown said...

There are many guy-ish tasks I will do. But going into the attic is where I have always drawn the line. NEVER. I've heard too many animals having paries up there while we sleep.
You could always adopt Jennifer's travelling practice: layering clothing. You may look like a fedex truck with two winter coats on.
Have a lovely trip!