06 August 2009

Torture


Every morning, I wake up to the phone ringing ...

It is Gary.

It is the end of his day - the day I am just starting and he is just ending. He is headed to bed, so grabs the phone, gets in bed and calls.

It rings, I wake up, smile, roll over and answer. "Hey there, how was your day?"

We talk about his day, his weekend plans, things I need to do, Ryan, the usual. He tells me today that the maid (him) has done all my laundry I left and washed the sheets on my bed (two queens plus one very tall man means we start in the same bed, but I sneak out later so both of us will get some sleep). I thank him and tell him for the 15th time I could have done it when I got back.

We talk for how ever long we feel like - it is free. We have a Vonage phone hooked up to our internet with a 281 area code.


Then he does it, he plunges the knife in:

"Just opened my window - nice cold breeze coming in (winter is winding down in Australia right now), the lights on the bridge are glowing (his bedroom has an 'L' shaped window from floor to ceiling - so bitchin' view), the room is the perfect temperature."

I tell him I saw my thermostat hit 109 degrees again yesterday. How I miss the nights in Australia (and the days!). How I miss that view! Man, I even miss HIM when he is being mean! I can't believe that just last week I was whining about being cold! And with Gary coming home in both August and September, I can't justify going over until the end of September, so it will be Spring by the time I get there again - no more perfect winter days - apparently just perfect Spring days.

Oooooh! And maybe flowers to photograph!

"Love you, miss you, bye" our conversation is over and I am awake, might as well get up - turn up the air conditioners, start my day. It is lonely right after a phone call, but I know 3:30pm is coming ....

That's when he wakes up ... and calls:

"Hey there! Good Morning!"


... and it begins all over again.

5 comments:

Shel said...

Aw man! That is torture! It is so unbearable here it's ridiculous! I keep wanting to send the kids outside to play and they come right back in, but I can't blame them :)

Kristie said...

What would it be like to have perfect weather? Were you really complaining about it a few days ago? You've made me want to move to Australia.

Lori Hurst said...

I was whining because I was cold, NOT complaining about the weather - to me they are two very different things!

And ... I could have just turned the heater on ...

Liz said...

That is the sweetest post. Jared is in Detroit right now, calling me every chance he gets to gripe all about the seasons, and 85 degree weather and whatnot. well, he's not griping about it being there, just not being here. I hope spring in Australia is spectacular in it's own way. I'll need more pics of all the blooms you'll be sure to find! Welcome home.

Rhonda said...

Ahhh...so hate to rub it in. I have to say the weather here is one of the best things about CO. We've had an unusually mild summer with quite a few cold days and nights. I love, love, love it! Remind me of this this winter when it's really freakin' cold! :)