28 August 2009

Distraction


Well, I have successfully kept down a few ounces of Coke and haven't barfed in a couple of hours and I am so sick of laying in bed ... can't do it - even if I do have to go throw up - it will at least break up the monotony.

I can't believe that just moving some furniture could set me up with a head cold, fever and chills, flu-like symptoms, serious aches and pains ... OK, I can believe it - I have been living with it for 17 years and knew I was going to be in trouble, but what are you going to do?

Everything seems to be going swimmingly and that is what matters ...
We had to get a bit creative since I really couldn't carry his freakishly huge love seat very far. I figured out that the feet came off and it fit in the kitchen on its side with maybe a few centimetres to spare - and this with a bunch of twisting and grunting on our parts! We sort of played Twister but holding heavy furniture while we were doing it. Not a game I recommend.
We decided we wanted to grab some water before we filled up the front of the fridge with all his floor lamps and vacuum - and I just wanted to show Ryan's bum:



Every time we fit something in some impossible place, Ryan shouted out "Jenga!" which he explained was a game where you pull blocks out and try not to let the tower tumble - sort of seemed a logical thing to shout out when you are crazy and exhausted, so ... what the hell.

The kitchen (not entirely filled as of this photo, but was too exhausted and didn't really care anymore when I had finished):

His dresser, wooden TV trays, and various an sundry items fit in the bathroom and his bed mattress and base fit EXACTLY (and, oh, I mean exactly) in his storage shed. So we had everything off the carpet Tuesday night and then went to live fake lives in their model home.

The management had let us stay there once before, I can't remember why - but you know - model home - fake fruit, fake TV, thus nothing to do but pretend to live ... was incredibly boring and I was sick so I just laid in the fake bed and moaned most of the day (the moaning was pretty real ...).

They actually finished installing the carpet and pad at about 4:00pm Wednesday and his apartment smells FANTASTIC!!! No more dog pee smell. You have no idea - I could smell it in my sleep and was starting to detest his apartment and it really, really is adorable. Man - gated community, 3 swimming pools, fitness center and we get the one apartment from hell!

Then came moving all the furniture back out again and every time we started with something we looked at each other and said "How in the HELL did we get that there?" There is a wall out from the kitchen about 3' away so everything needed to twist and turn a corner. Fun, Fun, Fun and Twister backwards is just as un-fun as it is forwards.

I collapsed in the middle and Ryan thought I was stroking out - but told him I was just resting (I was really praying I would just die so I wouldn't have to move his bed ...).

Finished up and Ryan made me go lay down, but I wanted to get home - I was desperate to get home. No more sleeping in model homes for me - I WANTED MY BED!!! Even though the house was empty - I was just desperate to get there.

Headed out with a wee bit of a lead foot. Was toodling along and it was getting dark, which is a problem for us out there breaking the law by speeding (you can't see the Trooper cars) and all of a sudden lights turned on on the side of the road and a Highway patrol car pulled out. I slowed down and courteously got over so he could go get the guy I was following but I am NEVER that lucky - he got right behind me and made his intentions VERY CLEAR. Damn, there was that one second when I was getting over that I thought - he will keep going and get the guy in front of me - but - alas ... nay ... and I deserved it.

So - paying a fine and Defensive Driving are in my future. I have never been able to talk a policeman out of a ticket - I need to take lessons from Alisha. I was just very happy that I didn't pass out in front of him since I was really, really ill by this time (I didn't want to wait until morning since I knew I would be worse - which I was ... but in my own bed). I am pretty sure he would have ticketed me for something had I passed out in front of him - or shot me since it probably would have scared the shit out of him - who knows - by that time I really didn't care all that much ...

So - home but here for a few days. I think with the chills and sweats and the head cold that I am contagious and don't want to spread the joy. I know I should be in bed, but I have been there for 2 solid days and I am actually, sort of starting to detest it ...

6 comments:

Leslie said...

I wish I had known what a difficult task you had in front of you! I would have called an Elder's Quarum somewhere nearby to assist you (with out your permission)!! You are a great mother. Your son is very lucky!!

Leslie said...

P.s. Feel better soon.

Court said...

Ditto exactly what Leslie said. There are tons of folks who can help out with that and we could have hooked you up without you even knowing!! I love being sneaky.

What can we do to help you feel better?

Alisha said...

I fear that my ticket swindling days are over. I haven't been pulled over in nearly 5 years but the traffic camera that caught me running the red light was an omen.

Sorry you're sick-- anything I can do?

Cherri said...

If you could have passed the breathalizer that he would have pulled in response, you should have barfed on him - then he would know why you were in a hurry and cut you some slack. Glad the apartment is better, did they find the furry friend that was eating his bread? Or did it have MORE than 4 legs?

Lori Hurst said...

Thanks for all your kind words of concern and there is really nothing that fixes this but time and rest - fun for me. Feeling a ton better today but still a ways to go.

As for the (I am assuming 4 legged) critter - they are supposed to be taking care of things on Monday and I have been too sick to call - so I will call on Monday. Although - no additional sighting or screaming like a girl on Ryans part so that is something ...