07 August 2009

Temperature Wars


Phone rings this morning.

I roll over, smile, pick it up: "Hey! How was your day?"

We talk, he has been out shopping for a screen to go with his projector I took him. His class would only hold 20 students and he is getting about 28 - 30 and the room gets hot, so he moved the class to the overflow - thus now needing a screen to project on. Oh! And while he was out, he bought a thermometer - so he can now tell me EXACTLY what the temperature in his bedroom as he goes to sleep is ... it was 19C at that moment. I guess thrusting in the knife wasn't good enough - he needed to go twist it too ...

In his defense, he did say he has been meaning to get one - he walks to work and on Saturdays takes a 30K bike ride - tying to ramp up to 50K in training for his 200K race he signed up for - and for both these events, he would like to know what the temperature is to dress appropriately, but using it to make me jealous seems to make him happy so I'm going with that is why he bought it ...

I moan and call him mean things. When living in Norway - our thermometers were also Celsius and even if I cannot quickly come up with the conversion in my head like Gary can, I know that 20C was PERFECT! That is 68F and was just right - not too hot, not too cold - so yeah, jealous - anything cooler makes the down duvet he is sleeping under is just that much more snugly!

He said it would probably be cooler in the morning ... said he would call and let me know.

My only consolation? He will be here a week from tomorrow for a week and I don't see it cooling down any time soon ...

4 comments:

Liz said...

Oh, I bet since he's coming here in a week, and I'm going to Utah in a week luck says that the weather will decide to be beautiful for that one week here in houston. Sorry, but I bet it happens.

Laura said...

Man, that's just mean. I'm curious, how hot will it get in Brisbane during their summer? Will you get to rub it in then, or is Brisbane one of those places with perfect weather all year round?

Also, thanks for the Celsius translation!

Lori Hurst said...

Nah, I'm pretty much screwed - can't even mock him in the summer. I looked up average temperature in Brisbane's summer: 29.20C (84.56F) High, 20.40C(68.72F) Low

So, yeah - perfect weather all the time!

Cherri said...

I think you should somehow rig it so the bedroom he sleeps in can't cool down! Nothing worse than a bedroom that is too hot.