11 September 2008

Lori's Plant Morgue

I called this section of our patio my 'Plant Infirmary', where I took plants that were 'sick' inside to get some sun. Gary and Ryan call it my 'Plant Morgue': where Lori's plants go to die - so it should probably be called 'Lori's Plant Hospice'.

All the plants I planted one day in a fit of gardening madness have miraculously survived my neglect and abuse. Apparently that works for them. With the hurricane a'comin, I thought that I would take photos just in case ....

I have photographic evidence that I have actually kept a few plants alive. But I have to confess ... the pretty pink flowers on the weird spiky plant in the two big pots? I didn't plant that. I saw one little spiky thingy one day amongst the dead plants inhabiting one of the pots and it spread to the other pot. All there was was one pink flower for the longest time. They are weird flowers - they close up most of the day and all night, but when the sun hits the area, they open up for just a few hours. I will have to find out what it is. Any ideas? Here is a close up:

Each of the bud like looking things eventually becomes a flower. Dies a few days later and falls off. I personally think it is my magic statue / water feeder keeping everything alive - I got it just about the same time ...

Ah, well, Ryan just called and said school is cancelled tomorrow due to the hurricane, Gary is flying home tonight instead of tomorrow night ... I guess plants are the least of my troubles right now.

Gota go.

1 comment:

Cherri said...

We have you in our prayers. Just what you need to deal with now, a hurricane! I hope Gary gets in okay and all you love (including plants, fountains, and weird flowers that are survivors) hangs in there strong!

Let us know how things shake out. We're watching the news and worrying about you.