23 September 2008

And Then, Out of the Blue....

.... She said it! It left me with a mixture of emotions: excited, comforted, thrilled, happy, elated, sad, mourning and a bunch others I can't recall. She looked at us, both of us just staring with our mouths gaping and she had to say it again: "I want to go back to my friends now".
.
I thought it would take a year or two. We were told this happens, where they would rather be at the institution/group home rather than with you .... but I thought it would take more than 5 weeks!
.
No matter, it makes me feel better to know that she wants to be there, and if it was horrible, I don't think she would want to be there. But I am not Jessie either.

4 comments:

Cherri said...

I am happy for the peace that you must be feeling about your decision for Jessie. It has to be hard to hear, but then, you have probably been hearing it from Ryan for about 16 years! I think my kids started at about 1 year old to want to be with friends more than with me, but maybe I'm exaggerating just a tad. Unless they are sick or tired, friends are better.

Val and Marceil said...

It sounds like Jessie is growing and maturing in ways that would have been difficult or impossible at home. She has developed other interests and is interacting with a whole new group of people and she finds that stimulating. It's not that she forgets mom, dad and ryan but it sounds sort of like when I left the small two-room elementary school in Taylor and started high school in Shelley a whole new life opened up to me. I developed new interests and new friends and that just added to what I already had. This was a vrey happy time of my life and so it will be with Jessie. Just help her along any way you can and she will be the better for it.

Dad

Vicki said...

I love it!!! That just makes my day. What an answer to prayers. I'm so happy for her and for you!!! I've always said, "Once you know they are happy, you can feel some peace."

Vicki

Jodi said...

WOOOOWHOOOO!!! The only thing I can relate to at just a fraction of the emotions your going thru, is when Darin wouldn't let me walk him to the crosswalk and asked me to stay in the garage. (It may have been because I still had my jammies on and my hair was a mess - not sure) Great to see their independence, but it's still a bit of a stab in the heart.