06 April 2013

I Shall Call This: An iPost ...

I was merrily editing photos for a post here last night when my left foot decided to tell me: "I have had enough!" By basically swelling up far worse than it ever has ... then, for good measure, turning a blueish purple.

Wisely, I put myself to bed - only to be wakened in the middle of the night by my body - not wanting to be outdone by a mere foot - whining: "I've had enough too!" And I suddenly realized that I was über sick. I spent the rest of the night lying there shivering and miserable.

Since the Office, my computer and my photos could just as easily be 500 miles away from me and be just as accessible as it is to me now, the post I was working on will have to be finished (if at all ...) at a later date. And because of my 'predicament' I am embarking on an iPad adventure ...

This here Blog Post is iGenerated:

The photos were taken with my iPhone, e-mailed to myself and picked up via my iPad and stored there.

All edits to the photos were done on my iPad using the App: iPhoto and the App: Photogene Pro (sorry iPhoto, but Photogene Pro has masking layers, regular layers and WAY more control ... it kicks your butt).

This post was written using the App: Blogsy on my iPad.

All this from the comfy confines of my prison six foot by six foot living quarters. OK, I will admit that every now and again I scooter ten feet into the bathroom, at great pain to myself ... but waddya gonna do?

Gary had seen my foot and was concerned about it's ominous size and color and asked me if I had been using the cream the doctor had ordered for me from a Compounding Pharmacy (a pharmacy that will mix you up a batch of ... whatever ... in the amounts you specify)? I told him that 1) Calling it a cream was using that term generously and 2) No, the two times I tried it turned into gigantic, comedic messes.

You see, I THOUGHT the doctor said he was sending me a lotion type substance. When it arrived, I pumped the top a few times and proceeded to - what I THOUGHT was going to be: massage it (ever so carefully as it still hurts like the dickens) into my foot. What I discovered was it was a slimy, runny sticky mess.

I immediately grabbed an ace bandage and wrapped my slimy foot up since it seemed to have no inclination to soak in or dry. That basically left me slimed on both hands (and arms ... don't ask). Turning to the disaster on me, I grabbed some tissues to attempt to wipe it all off. This attempt was rewarded by basically turning my arms and hands into papier-mâché art. My only option left was to get on my scooter, sliming it in the process, and go wash up in the bathroom.

This was NOT a process I wanted to repeat (but I did ... once ...) so I had not been using it.

It is sort of a mystery:

It looks all innocent and chalked full of pain relievers, anti-Inflammatories, and anesthetics and, while it SOUNDS wonderful, it is actually an evil sliming mess. Still ... I should be using it.

And it is a very sad shame that it is SO disgusting since I have really, really hurt my left arm compensating for that no-walking thing and bothers me ten times as much as my foot. I would LOVE to slather it all over my arm but the thought of the last time it was 'all over' me is so disgusting I know it will never happen ...

I tried to explain this to Gary (leaving out the papier-mâché art part) and so he - gallantly I might add - offered to do it for me! He grabbed a large sock of his as to not hurt my swollen foot and proceeded to dispense the slime. Using one finger, he smeared it over my foot, then slipped the sock on.

No mess, no one slimed, no papier-mâché art, he is AMAZING!

It does actually numb the crap right out of my foot, so I really should be using it. Right before Gary left for Conference this evening he offered to apply it again. Of course I said yes. THIS TIME he donned a surgical glove first! Is that man a genius or what?!?

Soooo, here I lay, the One-Sock-Wonder hoping that soon the Office is back to an accessible locale, as is the kitchen (it might as well be located in China ...), that I can eat something without first picturing what it is going to look like coming up and deciding if it is worth the risk.

And really, really hoping that the swelling in my foot subsides ... at least to a place it won't scare me. Last night it looked so horrific and disturbing that I, maybe for the very first time in my photography experiences - chose not to take a photo of it ... oh, wait - there was a very large, very dead sea something (not lion, not dolphin ... I cannot come up with its name, even though I can picture it) that my nephew told me to take a photo of and I refused ... but that was more out of respect than disgust so I guess my foot is really the first ...

I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it is having an iPad, iPhone and Kindle while confined to my prison bed. I don't really know how people stay sane when bedridden for extended periods of time without beaucoup amounts of electronic gadgetry ... I really, really don't. I am pretty sure I would not last long!

Sure - I did that very thing many times over the years past - but that was before I became spoiled. I don't remember how we used to function without our wee tiny portable computers. Thank heavens for the little (expensive) things ...



Well, that is it: my Totally iGenerated post!


It CAN be done!



Y'all - next time you walk from your bedroom to the kitchen,

or go out in your front yard to take a photograph,

or help bring in the groceries (when your wonderful husband has done the shopping for you),

or get a load of laundry out of the dryer and carry it over to the couch to fold,

or unload the dishwasher,

or go out to you car and go ... ANYWHERE

... think about how ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL and MARVELOUS it is to be able to do that!

So simply ... So easily ...

I know that when I am able to do these things again - I will appreciate them, and marvel at my ability to do these things ... for a while, then they will become mundane again as memory dims and I will take them all for granted again.

Isn't that human nature?


Until then ...

 

2 comments:

Just a thought... said...

I'm so sorry to hear that things aren't getting any better. If you are shivering you might be fighting a fever which could mean you have an infection. You probably need to get it checked out pretty soon. I for one would seriously like to see a picture of your foot! I've had a few foot surgeries in the past so I get what you're saying about the loss of mobility. You seriously think about how many steps it will take to get from point A to point B, then after factoring in the pain level, and calculating how you'll carry what ever it is you are going after ..most often you end up deciding its really not worth the trip after all! Take it easy and let us know if you need anything after Gary goes back to work on Monday.

Vicki said...

So sorry to hear things are still so tough!