15 April 2013

I'm Pretty Sure The Seizures Were More Fun ...

Day Three of "Hospital Incarceration" ...

 

I am in no way anything near a "Model Patient". I got off on the wrong foot immediately with the doctor - which I highly recommend you NOT do!

 

A "Code Blue" had started and there was a horrific, noisy bell / whistle combo that was doing my headache no favors. As the doctor opened the door and walked in, the noise was so awful I loudly moaned and asked her if she would 'shut the door'.

 

She misunderstood what I had said and thought I had asked her to shut it off. She quickly snapped

 

"That is a Code Blue! Someone is dying! You don't just 'shut them off' - we are a hospital!"

 

Through clenched teeth, I told her I knew it was a Code Blue (the announcement screaming "Code Blue! Code Blue!" Was a good hint) and that I understood that she could not shut it off. I then explained that I had a headache and merely asked her to close the door so it would not be so loud.

 

She stood there for a moment - all bothered and huffy, then she walked over and shut the door.

 

Like I said, our initial greeting could have gone better ...

 

As for the room, it is wonderfully a single patient room with plenty of room for Gary when he comes to hold vigil.

 

I gotta say ... I better not smell like this forever. Daily sponge baths are just not doing the trick. I have a hound dog nose and seriously cannot stand myself!

This girl needs a real shower something fierce!

On the Plus side - laying around in bed has done wonders on the swelling of my foot:

This morning I had a fun filled hour of needles and pain - something I am not fond of. They needed a ton of blood for the regular tests and for cultures - so a needle in the top of BOTH hands.

Then there was the IV they placed approximately one inch below my armpit. I DO NOT recommend this placement. Apparently neither did my arm:

They got a new one in after a fun time with a vein, trying to thread in the line and a valve that just would not let them - FUN TIMES!

I do not recommend this either ... In fact I would pretty much not recommend the entire morning. Between labs, finger stabs for blood sugar, shots in the belly to avoid blood clots and a new IV every day - I just feel like one big 'ole pin cushion!

And just when I thought I was semi-presentable ... in terms of grooming and hygiene ... a lady came in to do an EEG which I was mistaking for an EKG and assumed that grundles of electrodes would be placed on my chest.

But no! It is the one where the electrodes ARE GOOED TO YOUR HEAD - WAY more fun ...

When she was finished I reached up for some reason and touched one of the leads. My finger came back with a glob of ... something on it. She told me -

 

"No worries! It is just really thick Vaseline! You'll be wanting to shampoo that out of your hair real soon."

 

Oh, my - YES ... Wouldn't that be grand?

 

2 comments:

Vicki said...

So, do you have any answers yet?

Cherri said...

Now that you are poked, prodded, wired and weirded out (Needed another "w" word whether it fit or not) do they know anything more? When last you blogged they indicated something in the MRI? Your foot does look much better, so one plus, a zillion minuses! I am so sorry that you have to go through this - I thought the foot surgery and recovery was enough to have to deal with in a decade!
I am so glad that Gary and Ry were home when it happened so they could get you help quick! Scary.