13 March 2011

A Cure for Nightmares


I dream.


A lot.


Every night my subconscious goes bananas and I find myself in all sorts of predicaments. Creepy, scary, uncomfortable predicaments.

Is it me?


Or is this normal?

Maybe other people dream of rainbows and unicorns - but my dreams are significantly ... well ... darker. I don't know why. This probably says something about me.

Something not very flattering.

Sometimes they get so bad, I decide that staying up all night is preferable. This has its down sides.

Sleep deprivation makes me stupid.

Kindle now has software that lets you read your Kindle books on a computer, an iTouch, an iPad ... pretty much on any electronic device you own. It also has this cool feature that when you switch from one electronic gizmo to another - it automatically syncs you to where you were last reading - so no searching for your spot.

I have been reading lately.


A lot.


I have been worried lately.


A lot.


This has lead to some unpleasant dreams. Frantic, disturbing, sad dreams.

I used to get up and head to the computer when I decided that sleep was eluding me, or that I was avoiding sleep. Now - I grab my trusty iTouch with its backlit screen and open my current book, and just read. Since I don't need to turn on any lights to do this, Gary is not bothered and I don't get lectured for this ... like I sort of do when he finds me in front of the computer at four in the morning.


I read through the night.


I have been doing this for two weeks now and I have noticed that the nightmares have stopped!


I read ... I see one o'clock roll around ... read some more ... two o'clock ... read some more and discover that ... hmmmm that wasn't in the book. I have dropped off to sleep - but my subconscious makes up 'the rest of the story' and my mind continues on without me.

I start reading again upon waking. Four o'clock rolls around ... read some more ... five o'clock ... and off on more bizarre adventures with the characters from my book!

Granted ... I am not getting much sleep - but, OH! What fun I am having.

I am not sure how much sleep I am getting, but some. I have not crashed and burned from lack of sleep, and I don't feel stupid ... but that just might be me ...

So - I am headed to bed. And since I finished my last book a few hours ago - get to go perusing through my Kindle library of about 20 books that I have waiting for me to read.

I am pretty sure it is not going to be that Stephen King novel ...

2 comments:

Cherri said...

So what books are you reading and have you got any recommendations?

ashley said...

lori, I dream a lot too, sometimes I wonder if I am crazy because I can remember each dream I have and they arent the normal happy go lucky dreams, they are dark and twisted.