29 March 2013

This is Just a Warmup ... Straight from the Bookshop, it's Aesop!!!


It showed up at the door stop
My precious Aesop!
From my bed I sit up
And exclaim: "It's my pop up"!

So I hop up
Grab my camera and startup
Not one to name drop
But I love Aesop!
And it's a Pop up!
Which I love more is a toss up ...



I know, I'm a cutup ...
Here lets start up.
Don't mind the Shaker Box
Behind the fox ...
It is just a back drop
For good old Aesop!




Seriously?

That was exhausting - I'm gonna stop with the pop up rhyme up ...

Right now ...

But how?


What good Mormon doesn't love "The Ants and the Grasshopper" Fable?

It's what in lean times keeps food on our table!



This is above ground and
I believe I spy a little guy ...
If my eyes don't belie
ready to defy and try - to supply
The poor grasshopper some rye!




This is the Cave like atmosphere below ground ...
Under the mound.
See what I found!
Two guards that confound.
The difference between them astound.
I am sure this is bound to be profound ...

I will expound:

On the right is "IndignANT" he is:

"The Ant with the rANT who never recANTs"

On the left is "PleasANT" who

"While no RembrANdT, much less a SavANT and whose brains are rather scANT can TOTALLY enchANT"




Take a gander at that ... Gander:




And one of my most loved Fables that is usually accompanied by the quote:

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

OK ... so I TOTALLY am tapped out on rhymes ...








And another personal favorite plus the one that led me to this charming book!

Take a look:




I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one because of the message it delivers:



I spent quite a lot of time this week reading up on Aesop. As I mentioned in a previous post I thought that with all of his Fables I could come up with a clever tie-in to each of the items I was going to write about. That didn't happen. It was not that the Fables failed me per se - but that they were TOO GOOD. As I was not including 'The rest of the story' a couple of the Fables were spot on - but inappropriate for the post thus I was so frustrated with this I gave up in my quest.

But not before learning everything I ever wanted to know about Aesop and then some.

Had you asked me who Aesop was BEFORE last week I would not have really known but would have guess that he was some dude in Europe living around the time of Hans Christian Anderson ... and BOY! Would I have been wrong! TOTALLY did not know that he was a Greek Slave circa 620–564 BC. And that he is credited with more than 656 fables ... that is WAY MORE than I would have guessed.

I knew that I was rather enamoured with some of his Fables for their wisdom ... but had no idea how very clever and smart he was until I started reading quotes attribued to him and quickly became a fan ...









And in closing ...

Sadly ...


As pop-up books are wont to do


It has already sustained an injury. I believe it was a horrible "Folding Accident" since I was über careful opening each precious page and heard no horrifying ripping noises ...

Alas I forgot that the closing and accompanying folding of the pop-up is as dangerous as the opening but closed the pages quickly and I am suffering for it

*sigh*



Now here is a question for you ...

Is the Universe trying to tell me something or am I being ... well, exactly like myself?

Notice in that there photo up there that IT IS THE TORTOISE that is injured?

And that it is his leg?

Should I be concerned?


Yes?


No?



This will probably keep me up all weekend ...

1 comment:

Mary-Anne said...

When I was in 7th grade I was in a drama class and for our "spring performance" we did Aesop's Fables. The one that I was in was the one about the Miser and I played the miser running around the stage screaming "money, money, money". Unfortunately for me the day of the play I was in the hospital recovering from a horrible bicycle accident. So I feel you pain from the universe about the tortoises leg. Although you could contact amazon and submit a claim about the book and get a replacement lickety split ;)