09 March 2013

Fell In Love With A Poem Today ...

Deep in the longest, darkest hours of last night I spent hour after hour trying to ignore the ever increasing pain in my foot and lower leg. I was super frustrated that most likely in a few hours - after watching the room slowly lighten - I would be mentally ticking off the 'Zero' column on my mental form: "How Many Hours of Sleep Did You Get Last Night?" for the second day in a row ...

It has literally been years and years since I worried, fretted, freaked out, or panicked over not falling asleep - but somehow the years seemed to have all been washed away and I find myself trying much too hard to find that elusive god 'Hypnos' ...

Years and years ago I realized that while a bit of sleep would be cool and in some cases totally necessary, worrying about it or fretting about it or freaking out about it or downright getting all panicked about it does NOT help you in your quest AT ALL ... not even a little bit. Thus I have spent years trying to come up with tricks to help me stay calm and ignore the fact that I am not asleep and it is five in the morning.

I sleep with my iPad under my pillow. As pathetic and, well downright weird and / or creepy as that is - I actually DO try to fall asleep before succumbing to its electronic temptations and promises to help me ignore my aches and pains.

And last night ran a typical course - ending up with me surfing on my iPad having never even come close to drowsy ...

After quite a few hours of this, I realized that the pain was getting so intense I had started unconsciously doing my breathing exercises. Hmmm - not sure what to call them - 'Breathing Exercises' doesn't sound right - just think Lamaze Breathing but without a wee little one at the end ... and most times much less screaming and crying ...

Audibly huffing and puffing now - I was what I would call "Rabidly Surfing" in hopes that it would distract me. It was doing me no good until I somehow landed on a site called "You Are My Wild". It is a project where 14 photographer parents were asked to weekly submit a photo of their children that somehow shows how they 'see' them.

The photos were beautiful, creative and insightful so I went through them week by week - it is a yearlong project thus so far they have eight weeks. I will be sneaking back to see the cuties every now and then throughout the year - especially a little dark haired beauty that I simply fell in love with!

There are no comments - just 14 photos each week. It does list the photographers and as enamored with this little beauty, I decided to find her photographer parent. Found her mother on my second attempt! I clicked on her name and it took me to her blog where she has posted many more photos - including the 'outtakes' for Weeks 1 8 and also describes the photographs.

Scrolling down I noticed that she had included a poem. She explains that she was wondering about the origins of the name of the Project / Web Site ("You Are My Wild") and while investigating this online she discovered this poem - which is clearly the answer to her question. It is actually a Children's Book by the same name - so I guess it is doing double duty ...

I read it - and at first I was thinking that she had somehow mistyped the title - but no - she did not ...


Neither did I ...


I read it again.


And again.


And just like that - my night was no longer the long, dreary, dark and endless night it had only moments ago been! No longer a never ending series of ever lengthening minutes - a chore that just had to be endured - it had totally flipped over on itself.

Searching and searching for the elusive Hypnos, but instead Euphrosyne and her two sisters showed up! One simply cannot do better than spending the early morning hours with the 'Three Graces' the goddess of Joy among them! I will lose sleep ANY TIME they would like to come over and play ...





And all because of a beautiful, sweet little poem!

 

There is something I find fascinating about words - and people's ability to take those words - just WORDS - and sculpt something truly spectacular!


Words ...


Those little things that we use every day - most of the time without giving them much thought at all (even when we probably SHOULD ...) but in some gifted and skilled hands they become so much more than mere 'words'.

I don't know how they do it ... I am in awe of those talented folks and their ability to take these little things we call 'words' and somehow make MAGIC!



You Are My I Love You

I am your parent, you are my child
I am your quiet place, you are my wild
I am your calm face, you are my giggle
I am your wait, you are my wiggle
I am your audience, you are my clown
I am your London Bridge, you are my falling down
I am your Carrot Sticks, you are my licorice
I am your dandelion, you are my first wish
I am your water wings, you are my deep
I am your open arms, you are my running leap
I am your way home, you are my new path
I am your dry towel, you are my wet bath
I am your dinner, you are my chocolate cake
I am your bedtime, you are my wide awake
I am your finish line, you are my race
I am your praying hands, you are my saving grace
I am your favourite book, you are my new lines
I am your nightlight, you are my sunshine
I am your lullaby, you are my peek-a-boo
I am your kiss goodnight, you are my I love you

~~ Maryann K Cusimano

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Such a touching poem. Thanks for sharing.

Cherri said...

I loved the phrase - I am your praying hands, you are my saving grace. So true. I think I might have seen this before. Beautiful!