11 January 2013

The Perils of Waiting on Prescriptions


I am oh so very behind in my blogging!

I have taken the photos, but somehow have not posted. I decided to post as many as I can in the next few days to catch up since my mother likes to know what is going on in my life - but feel free to skip!

This is a post that should have been written two days after Christmas - or, at least, that is when the photos were taken ...

I had a doctors appointment and headed into the waiting room.



I have discovered that I would rather fight the early morning commute than wait and wait and wait for my appointment later in the day. My doctor is a wonderful doctor and will listen to you and therefore tends to get behind as the day goes on.

She is a wonderful doctor and her specialty is AIDS patients and patients like me: "Lost Causes". She is kind and caring and when ever I get online and see the doctor polls for the city of Houston she is in the top 5 for best doctor. So I feel like I am in good hands.

I realized that morning that I missed something coming in for a 7:30 appointment.

The other patients!

I do not have a problem with AIDS patients - I don't think I am going to contract anything from them so there was never any discomfort.

I remember when I worked at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory people in my group would not come in my office. They asked me to step outside to speak with them. I finally got fed up and asked my 'mentor' what was going on. He explained that the person who used the office and desk before me had died of AIDS. I rolled my eyes - people can be so ... weird.

My favorite experience in my docs waiting room was one day a few years back when a ... OK - here I am not good with terms - a he/she but since he would like to be called a she that is what I will do. She came in pulling her IV along with her and plopped down right beside me even though there was a plethora of empty chairs about the waiting room.

I was reading and she was staring right at me, so I put my finger in my book and looked up and said 'Hello'.

 She said "Can I tell you that you have absolutely the MOST gorgeous hair that I have ever seen?"

I smiled at her and said thank you. She had blond, thin stringy hair and started asking me for hair care tips, what did I use, what did I do and we had a wonderful conversation.

Then I saw her dip her head and then looked back up with tears in her eyes and said - "I know people don't like to be touched by people like me - but I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING just to touch your hair. I promise I wont touch anything else - just a little bit of your hair?"

It made me so sad that this person had probably not been touched tenderly for some time that it brought tears to my eyes. I tenderly took her hand in mine - for it was covered with sores and didn't want to hurt her and told her that I didn't mind one little bit.

I have never seen anyone turn from being ashamed, unsure and miserable to someone full of excitement and joy so fast! She thanked me profusely and felt my hair. She mentioned that it was as soft as she thought that it was and what a gift I had.  Her excitement and thrill was a gift to me.

Then my name was called and I got up to go in the back - I smiled and told her to have a good day. She smiled back and said that I had MADE her day and so of course she would have a good day.

I miss him/her I miss seeing all the others that are in worse shape than I am in since it is a very good reality check for me - but apparently not enough to wait for an hour or two for my appointment.

While the receptionist was out I snaked my hand holding my camera thorough the hole in the glass and took this photo of the charts. These are the charts for the patients for the day. I remember feeling rather good about myself - thinking - mine is not so bad - it is about that size - note that they are all quite thick:


The nurse came in to do what nurses do and I asked him if he would mind if I took a photo of my chart? He looked at me sideways and said that was fine:


See? Not so bad! I mentioned this to the nurse who then burst my 'smug bubble' by stating that I had six more just like that in the back - he said it just gets too big to keep all as one piece.

Sigh ...


Finished up and headed to pick up my prescriptions, and realized that it was two days after Christmas! I am NEVER in a store during After Christmas Sales! 

So while waiting for my prescriptions I grabbed a basket and headed for the Christmas aisle.

By the time they called my name saying that my prescriptions were ready - I had switched from a basket to a full blown cart and even that was having problems holding everything that I had found at bargain basement prices!



Yeah - go in for a wee bag of three bottles of prescriptions and come out with this:


Part of my 'After Christmas Loot' included a wreath and a wreath holder - I have never had one! Ryan was mortified that I had made Gary put it up AFTER CHRISTMAS but I wanted to see what it looked like:


Not bad for dirt cheap:


And then I started unpacking the rest of my 'After Christmas Loot' this does not include the wrapping paper and some other things that I fail the remember now that I deemed not worthy for photos - but quite a haul!


I found those teensy weensy round glass ornaments and grabbed a set of 4 thinking that one day I would find just the right teensy weensy tree for them to go on. 

After perusing the aisle at least 10 times I finally had the wherewithal to look up and there was my teensy weensy tree!  It will look lovely somewhere.  And although it does not look like it lights up - I don't have a clue why it would be called a Fiber Optic Tree if it did not.  I have been too lazy to open it up (saw one out and didn't see a cord - but maybe batteries?) so it will just be a great big surprise next year ...



The main thing I got was 18 or 20 glass angels. They were in Silver and Gold which matches my tree spectacularly. We have a set of plastic silver balls that I think we have had since a few years into our marriage - but they still look good so I keep putting them on the tree - but these might just push them right off the tree and into storage - depends on how crowded things look.

Aren't they just adorable and look like you can break them just by breathing on them?


I am particularly fond of these little dudes. They unscrew and you can fill their cute round bellies with something - ADORABLE!!! Especially for twenty five cents apiece:


Tell me they aren't wearing the most adorable knitted outfits ever!


And I bought them out of these darlings. They are what I call 'Festive Clippies':


That would be because they are festive and have a clippie on the back (yes, that is that 'I am very clever at naming things again ...):


Thus you can clip them onto ANYTHING and voilà! Festive!


See - "Festive Charlie"




Ummmm - OK, maybe NOT everything looks 'Festive' when clipped on - but they look like .... something ...






And I just have to mention since I am rather spoiled and tend to spend bundles and bundles of money which probably disgusts most of you (or SHOULD) that all this loot - including what you cannot see cost me under $100.00!



LORI: THE BARGAIN SHOPPER!!! 


Who knew it was even possible?!?



On to the next post ...

2 comments:

Cherri said...

Wow, Ryan is such a good sport! Love the festive clippies, even if they don't quite hold up to their advertised name.

You can do like Vicki does - she cheats and changes the date of her post to reflect when it should have come out, even if posted two weeks later. Then people can just wonder if they are losing it and just didn't notice a new post on Dec 27, even though quite obviously there is a post for Dec 27 that magically appeared there on Jan 11th!

Mary-Anne said...

I totally love doing after christmas sale shopping. If you wait patiently on something they will knock it down and then you win by getting something that you wanted for 1/2 the price or even less because you waited!!! I also laughed when I saw the pictures of Ryan with the festive clippies because his facial expressions were priceless. I am surprised though that your doctor hasn't gone paperless like many other doctors offices have done because it makes for more space for them and they can put the things into a cloud and such. I know that Texas Childrens Hospital was in the process of doing that back in 2010 when I was taking care of my cousins daughter.