24 June 2012

"Home Security and Protection"

Here is something that I posted on Facebook on Friday at about 4:20:

So … I’m sitting at my desk. It is 4:00pm and I hear the knob on the door turn on the back door. Charlie is jumping up and down, prancing and whining as she does when someone gets home. The door rattles again, but no one enters. I entertained the thought of going back there and letting my son in but decided I was too lazy. Charlie’s jumping sounds are less frenetic and yet still no one enters. I wonder if Gary has come home early and remembered he needed to drop something off in the garage …

No one enters. Charlie has given up with her antics and wanders off …

Decide to go see what is going on. There is no one. There is no truck in the driveway.

Uhhhhh … *gulp*

Text Ryan and asked him if he came home, but had to leave before he got inside?

No.

Uhhhhh. There are probably numerous things that should be bothering me or upsetting about this … but only ONE has taken up residency in my mind:

Charlie – my DIRT BAG guard dog totally BETRAYED ME. Man she was TOTALLY WELCOMING whoever was trying to get into our house with open arms (… er legs? paws?).

She is now back at her ‘Guard Post’ as shown below – and no, I did not help with the pillows – she’s a pillow dog …

I’m so hurt …

Anyone want a dog?



**** end of Facebook Post ****

So, after thinking about this for a bit longer and totally freaking out that there REALLY was a person in my backyard and he / she / they were REALLY trying to open the back door and my IDIOT DOG was REALLY jumping up and down in front of the DOOR - thus in front of the intruder(s) also - she was DELIRIOUS WITH JOY that someone had come to play with her, upon these further deliberations, I decided that maybe we should not use Charlie for any of our Home Security needs.

Gary, however, thinks that maybe with proper instruction Charlie will get on board and become the guard dog that he knows in in her (TOTALLY just made that up - we are not DELUSIONAL ...). So - I give you installment #1 of our "Home Security and Protection" video:




I'm not totally on board with this, but I am sure with proper motivation and training Charlie will grow up to be the ...

Oh, man - I cannot even type it ...


the dog is a complete idiot when it comes to security and protection ...



So I will start making sure the door is locked - it was a TOTAL fluke that the door was locked on that Friday afternoon. I had let Charlie out earlier and I guess I had locked it when she came back in. I am a little more than mildly curious as to what would have happened once the intruder walked in and simultaneously:

1) I realize that it is not Ryan who walked in the back door as I had assumed

and

2) the intruder realize that the house was not as empty as it looked - my car was in the garage, the driveway was empty.


So what happens then? Charlie, I am sure would have been entertaining in some sort of way ...



... but I am pretty sure that I would not have found it funny ...



Not funny at all.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

You are so calm. I think I would have been freaked!