11 September 2011

Playing with HDR Photography & Depth of Field ...

Decided last night, that since I was not feeling well and throwing up - that I would make the most of my night, not bother Gary, and get in some photography practice. Wanted to work on HDR images again - so working - instead of outside with landscapes, since that would be difficult to do at 2:00am - I worked with various objects on my shelves.

I decided that while I was at it, lets throw in 'Depth of Field' - wanted to put some flowers behind what ever object I would be photographing and have them blurry (small Aperture Value). So, I set things up and started snapping away.

It was pretty dark in the house and I really only wanted some side light on the object of interest (which was sitting on the banisters knobby-type-thingy-at-the-bottom-but-is-really-a-flat-swirl thing - so I turned on our torchiere lamps in both the office - and the-other-room-that-has-no-name so that most of the light was going up instead of down. So everything was lit, but barely.

I am always amazed that I can get things looking like I took the photos during the day just by my camera taking a 30 second shot ...

So here are my results - and, of course, I couldn't help but play with them in Photoshop - so they got 'fancified' - but the HDR and Depth of Field stuff is all the camera - not Photoshop.

Oh - and if they look like they don't have any color - I like that look also. But I lowered the saturation levels in the HDR post processing phase (the software that takes all your photos at the different exposures and stacks them all up and takes what it needs from each of them - outputting one composite "HDR" photo) so I don't count that as mucking about in Photoshop - just part of the 'artistic process' of picking what you like when it comes to your HDR photo. Since there are so many adjustments you can do in the HDR Post processing software - you can choose a variety of looks and all of them are HDR.

Had a good time. Will keep practicing.

Oh, and if it looks like I have already set up for Christmas (two nativities and an angel are a few of my objects) some nativities I just cannot put away and like looking at them all year. Yeah - I know you were worried about that ...











No comments: