04 August 2011

"Yellowstone" - Day 2


The "Yellowstone" part of the title is in quotes because we sort of just drove through at the end. The post SHOULD be titled:

Tetons!

TETONS!!

TETONS!!!


... And some Barns and Flowers ...

With Gary and me in one car and my parents, my sister Jill and my brother in law Mark in another - we set off on a loop. Our main goal was to find Mormon Row because my dad wanted to take photos there. Mom said he seemed surprised that I had found a place to photograph that he did not know about, so we just HAD to go there!

Headed south from Island Park on the West side of the Tetons, but, you know - they are pretty from that side too ...

Ahem ... I guess now is as good as any time to warn you that there are exactly 120 photos in this blog. Ambitious, you say? Stupid? No, lazy. If anyone wants to look at my photos I will direct them to my blog or Facebook, but, again, since my parents aren't Facebookers they are all going here so they can see them.

And if it looks like there are two identical photos in here, there isn't - I picked all my photos taken with my large camera first, then went through and picked all the photos taken with my (poor, poor, dead) medium size camera, edited them all, then renamed the medium size photos to fake names to get them in sync with the large camera photos so you didn't have to tour twice and I wouldn't have to get all confused as I added 120 FREAKING PHOTOS TO BLOGGER and realized that some were quite similar - one from each of the cameras ... but at that point I really didn't care all that much. Deal with it.

Gary was nice enough to pull over TONS of times so Dad and I could take photos - mainly of the Tetons - so, well there are a BUNCH of photos of the Tetons, but I was yet again having decision making issues on which ones to put in. But! I had 1087 photos for Saturday (the day we are on) and I got it down to 120 - I would say that it at least worth something ...

So - the photos before we hit Jackson Hole are photos that either Gary stopped for or I shot out the window:











Got to Jackson Hole and drove right through (with a pit stop) since we were 'burning daylight' and wanted to get to Mormon Row as soon as possible.

Not bad photos considering they were shot out the front windshield ...


We arrived and headed to the 'most famous' barn and started snapping away:
This one is titled: "The Old and New":
They don't look as nice as the one hanging on my wall, but that was taken at dawn with the angle of the light just right. We will have to make do with one in the afternoon light and some annoying shadows.
I have a hobby of collecting photos of other people taking photos. The rule has to be that the photo itself has to be a picturesque photo, not just a shot of someone shooting a camera. I actually forced Gary a couple of days after this to back up and take some more pictures because I was not quick enough capturing him taking a photo of some elk, and he patiently did it for me!

I am rather happy that I have Dad taking a photo of this barn:
Yes, and a few more - but they are all just a little different! Like little children of mine - just cannot decide which ones don't make the cut!



Down the road from this barn is a Bed and Breakfast owned and operated by one of the ancestors of one of the original inhabitants of Mormon Row (a small community of LDS pioneers). There are buildings surrounding their home and cabins for rent ... so I am unsure if any of these are original "Mormon Rower's":
The last time we were there, I asked if I could take photos of the surrounds of the Bed and Breakfast and she said that was fine, so I traipsed in again, like I owned the place and started shooting away.

A VERY DANGEROUS place for me because she is quite the gardener with the MOST BEAUTIFUL flowers! I have a very, very SERIOUS problem stopping ...



But look at these beauties! Who can blame me?
The view from their backyard ... not to shabby:
I don't know what type of flower this is, but I LOVE it!
OK, I LOVE this one too:
And SO BITTY! So cute! (You see my problem here?)
Everyone was getting antsy to cross to the other side of the main road and take photos where the majority of the buildings were, so I tried ... I really, really tried to stop:

But these all needed to have their photo taken ... I could just tell ...


I mean, WHO could leave this beauty undocumented?



And back to where I started:

And my last photo of flowers - with Gary and Mom waiting patiently for me past the fence ... my dad had given up on me and already walked down the road to take some photos of something else ...
A collection of buildings along Mormon Row:






Wandering Gary:


A ... what? Ground hog? I have no idea ...
More buildings, more Tetons:




Still, for some reason, enamoured with the grass as the sun hits it:

We saw a few planes ... they all seemed to be flying low, but that just might be my perception. Wouldn't this be a lovely flight?
One more house:
A few shots of wildflowers:

Got this shot off in the car and Gary took pity on me, even though we were behind my dad and stopped so I could get some photos with flowers in the foreground:
It was WAY EASIER to get the photo outside of the car and without it moving!
Down the road we found a pretty place to take yet more photos of the Tetons:
A nice place for a panorama:
Yet another stop, with a flower bush sitting just right!
The next photos are at one stop, then another where there was a cabin - so I will just shut up and let you scroll through these:








Fun shots through the windows and broken out areas in the cabin:









Another stop - with a river!


A flying ... something ... We did see an eagle, but this does not look like it:
This is the eagle, perched too far away to get a decent shot:
More river:

And the pretty flowers there:
Again ... a UFB (Unidentified Flying Bird ...):


OK, NOT UFB's - I KNOW what kind of birds these are ... I just forget the name ...

On a little walk to a lake: Pretty lake:



All the birds for the day were shy and never close enough to get a decent photo:







And! FINALLY! We are in Yellowstone - just passing through on the way back to Island Park:



Saw a little wildlife on the way through:



He seems to be singing ... and oddly seems to have human-like teeth ...



He looks way better with his mouth shut! (Just sayin')



Stopped at a store and on the way out, saw all these pieces of stained glass. Beautiful, aren't they?




Loved the sparkly, stars in the water:


Nothing spectacular, I just liked the rays peeking through:

Pretty light:
And FINALLY!! One more with sparklies to end out the day ..,.


Gary said I should have paced myself and done half a day again, but since they were all basically of the same thing, I could have had a photo of the Tetons, a barn and a flower and been done with it, I thought they all needed to be kept together. Lull you into a stupor of Tetons ...

3 comments:

Cherri said...

Gorgeous. Glad you found your enthusiasm again!

Rhonda said...

Beautiful shots! Makes me want to visit there.

jill said...

Think the first unidentified flower is a columbine, the ground hog--a prairie dog. They are beautiful.