27 June 2011

Playing Catch Up

A couple of weeks ago, Gary's sister and brother-in-law (my in-laws) came down to visit.

Yes.


To visit.



Us.



In Houston.



In the summer.



Actually in the 23 years (minus 2 for Norway) and not counting my parents and my siblings, and not counting Rachael's funeral (doesn't count as a 'visit' in my book) this is the FIRST time we have had guests.

And it was in Houston.


In the summer.


And there is a catch!

Steve, my brother-in-law was competing in the National Senior Olympics as a javelin thrower. So we did some stuff that we normally don't do without guests in the house.

The first thing we did, was drive to the George R. Brown Convention Center a few Saturdays ago so that Steve could check in. Did that lovely drive on 59 through downtown with all the confusing interchanges - but got off on the correct exit and didn't die in the process.

While waiting for Steve, I got out and snapped some photos. There was not a whole lot to photo and so the photos are rather boring ... thus I played around with them some. Pretty much there were buildings and flowers ...











The convention center is HUGE:




All I could see of a pretty church was the steeple:



And then I was still bored (still waiting for the blinkin stone to pass...) and created a mask and used it on a photo:



This is what the mask looks like:



It didn't like the looks of the flowers using the mask plain, so I 'cut out' only the pink flowers from the photo, laid a copy of this over top of the masked photo of pink flowers and reduced the opacity to 50% so it was see through.

Yes,

I have too much time on my hands ....



Waiting ....




Waiting ....



Waiting ....

3 comments:

Cherri said...

And what wonderful hosts you were! What is that statue representing? I loved your second picture - the one with white and yellow flowers.

Good luck with your stone!

Vicki said...

It sounds like you folks had a great time. I'm looking forward to Island Park!

Jennifer said...

I love the mask. I'm sorry that stone is still around. I thought of you yesterday when my friend showed me pictures of her stone that was the size of her THUMBNAIL. She had it blasted, of course, but still, I do not envy you ladies.