05 April 2011

Tiny Planets

Last night, as Gary peacefully drifted off to sleep - I started mentally going through my ever expanding checklist of 'things to do' in the wee hours of the night that will keep the monsters at bay.

Gary being home meant that the monsters weren't as persistant, but still there lurking about in the shadows. Gary being home also meant that comfortably watching Netflix was out. I have a set of headphones, but they are uncomfortable so not my first choice.

So - since 90% of my 'distractions' now have to do with my trusty new BFF - my iPad, I turned it on and started wandering through the apps. Nothing was jumping off the screen at me, so I went to the App Store! THE APP STORE! One of my favorite places! Where ON THIS PLANET can you buy something for under a dollar that can keep you entertained for hours ... or better yet - keep the monsters at bay?

Since I don't play computer games that throws out, by my estimation, AT LEAST 80% of all iPad apps in the App Store. Bummer. But - the 'genius' option is a lifesaver. It makes suggestions based on your previous purchases - so off I went to the Wizard himself. The Mighty One suggested something called 'Tiny Planets' and IT WAS FREE!

You can't go wrong with free.

So I uploaded it onto my iPad. It asked for a photo - which I gave it, and then it asked if I wanted to make a 'Tiny Planet' or a 'Tiny Tube' - I opted for the 'Tiny Planet' and was pleasantly surprised at the results!

It would take your photo and warp it into a globe. I quickly realized that some photos would be more amenable than others and grabbed one from my 'Paris' file:



And out popped the CUTEST LITTLE PLANET you ever did see!



I was hooked - so in went a Denmark photo:



ADORABLE!



I then decided I could add 'playing with new gadgets' to my nightly escapades and off to the computer I headed.

I had just days before received from my good friend Mr. Amazon an adapter / reader for the iPad. In one end you pop your SD camera card, and the other end plugged into the iPad's regular port. It lets you directly import photos from your camera card right onto the iPad. Clever, no?

So - I scoured my photo folders for photos that I thought would make excellent Tiny Planets. Plugged it into my iPad and imported them.

Then I went to town!


Brisbane:



Made into a Tiny Planet:



AND I decided to utilize option 'b' and made it into a Tiny Tube also.


It has a sort of 'Inception' feel to me ...



Sydney:








Brisbane at sunrise:







Boats in Cairns, Australia made for a very 'pointy' planet:





Fireworks celebrated the birth of this new planet:





More boats - cuter planet:





Texas wanted to play - so Planet Bluebonnet was created:





Sydney at night was fun:







Texas at sunrise:





And just for fun since it is not a planet - my family watching a bunch of lazy seals:






And, did I mention?

IT'S FREE!

Oh, and it does not make the frames - that was me wasting time today.


Packed it in at 7:00am - excited to show Gary, that while he slumbered - I created worlds aplenty, my own little psychotic universe ...

6 comments:

Cherri said...

I want to live on the Texas Bluebonnet planet - so green, so tree covered. Some of the others made me afraid - all pointy parts or huge towering buildings. Funny that anyone would invent such a thing. Some would make quite attractive Christmas tree ornaments, don't you think?

Glad you slew those monsters!

Vicki said...

I love it! Who would have thought?

Kristie said...

I love Texas Sunrise planet, but they are all super cool - probably just the Texan in me!!!

Jennifer said...

Texas sunrise planet reminds me of The Little Prince. Did you ever read it? He lives on a planet so small that after he watches the sunset, he pickes up his chair, walks forward a few paces, and sits down to watch it set again.

jill said...

Those are phenomenal. they were seriously fun to look at! Thanks for sharing.

Court said...

Denmark and bluebonnet are my faves. Sometime I'd love to visit and peruse your photography.