27 June 2008

Goodbye Jessie


I really never thought the day would come …. the day I said ‘Good Bye’ to Jessie.

The call came yesterday afternoon. I was on the computer trying to figure out how to make a blog site and it was Vicki. She is the lady who looks for placements for kiddos like mine. A few weeks ago she said the prospects were bleak and I had resigned myself that Jess would be with us for quite a while. The “I hate you mom”, the hitting, the kicking, the not letting me bathe her, the interruptions when Gary and I need to talk, the mess! I sighed and moved on.

So when she blurted out that the Richmond State School was going to take her, and take her in about 4 weeks, my heart stopped. And then it broke, and I cried.

How do you discard your child? Everyone says the right things: “She would be going off to college any way at this age”, “It is the best thing for her and for you” (true), but she is a 3 year old in a big body and I am going to court to say “Take her”. Is she going to be scared? Is she going to be abused? Is she going to wonder where Mommy and Daddy are?

It does not feel right, but I know it is.

I hate doing hard things, and I suck at it.

2 comments:

Marci said...

Although Jessie is different (if that is even the right word) from us, she is the same in that there is always a time to move to the next stage. We all did it after leaving Mom and Dad and have had several different stages since then. Jessie is loved by you and all of us and that will never change based on where she falls asleep each night. And she will fall asleep, she will laugh, she will have fun, she will cry, she will be human but it will be in her new home. Good for her that she is moving on to a new phase in her life. She will grow and learn in ways we all don't understand. Being sheltered isn't always a good thing. She will learn so many new things that she can tell you about just like we call Mom and Dad and tell them about. She will visit and we will visit her, just like we do now.

Jeff said...

I am excited... just like Marci!! She is going to have a blast... it will be different - but you know it will be better for everyone... not just you guys - but Jessie. She loves to interact with people and will be loved by so many more. Keep us informed... and tell Jessie hi from Uncle Jeff and Aunt Penny...