12 January 2012

Finally! My Final Day in Norway ...


Gary and I had one day to drive around and go visit whatever we wanted on Thursday after a quick meeting Gary had - so we made sure to make wise choices on where we wanted to go.

First stop, of course was 'My Mountain' - where our house was. We wanted to see the house but also - the ski jump - Holmenkollen Ski Jump - that we drove by every time we came off the mountain had since been torn down and a new one put up. It was not within code and they wanted to be able to host international ski jump competitions - so Oslo was building something new and up to code. We wanted to see if 'we approved'.

The old ski jump on a beautiful day when I was above the clouds that covered Oslo Fjord:


And the new ski jump:


We decided that we approved ...



Drove by Holmenkollen Hotel - our home for the last week we lived in Norway while we supervised the packing and move out of the house:


Tried to find that 'perfect spot' to take a photo of the ski jump. I think this is it. Gary thinks not since he did not remember a fence - but there was a fence on both sides of the road that looked new. I am sure we will never know ...


A quick photo of the church next to the ski jump. I cannot remember the name and Google is being a butt right now and not letting me see a map of the area so I can find the name. It is where all the royals are baptized and such ... (OK - Google is back and it is surprisingly called "Holmenkollen Chapel")


We drove by the house, but it was high enough that it was in the clouds - thus no great photos. We were also chickens and didn't go knock on the door and see if Hans lived there or if he had rented it out again. His plan was to move back in and it would have been good to see him - but ... chickens ...



Then off to Holmenkollen Restaurant since it has a bitchin' view of the Oslo Fjord. This sculpture of a speed skater is new since we lived there - I like her:


And the beautiful Oslo Fjord:


The sun does not get very high in the winter - just skims the hills - but it is beautiful in its own way ...


Sigh ... I LOVE this view ...


I looked down from the deck I was standing on to see THE CUTEST LITTLE ROUND HOUSE EVER!!! I sort of remember that something yellow was down there, but had never really looked - isn't it ADORABLE?


One final photo, a quiet goodbye, and back to the car ...


And on to Bærums Verk!!! My favorite place to shop - all hand made crafts made the old fashioned way in an old iron works factory (I think ... I have forgotten SO MUCH ...)


There are a ton of statues and sculptures there - this one is new. It is concave but seems to look convex:


Beautiful river flowing through it. Can you see the (new) blue scuba divers?


And a shot of the inside of my FAVORITE STORE!!! They sold hand made wooden containers called Tine's and I was addicted to buying them - they are all over my house now holding treasures of all sorts ...


One of the cute buildings on the complex (sold chocolate if I remember right ...)


Then on the road again and on our way to our final destination: THE NORTH POLE! Yes, we were heading to where Jule Nissen (Santa) lives. A total town dedicated to Christmas. You know you are in Drøbak when you see the yeild sign with the silhouette of Santa and his bag running across the road ... (you can see the yeild sign in the very next to last photo hanging on the cash register).

On our way - the sun began to set - it was 3:00 in the afternoon. If there is one thing that Norway knows how to do - and do well - is paint a beautiful sunset:




So by the time we hit Drøbak it was dark. I spent some time with my tripod taking HDR photos while Gary looked through the stores. This is the cutest little church just outside of the town square:


I saw this cool tree and decided it needed photos also:


And then a shot of the town center:


Then into the main store (the one where you can mail your letters to Santa:






An old fashioned cash register that I really liked and the 'Santa 'Watch out For' Sign':


I was beyond pooped (aka sick) and so Gary gallantly went to get the car while I waited on the porch of the main Christmas store. It was quiet, and peaceful, and beautifully lit. I had a minute or two to reflect that this was it, my final moments in Norway. We would be getting up in the morning and heading to the airport in the dark (of course) and a feeling of sadness washed over me.

Would I ever be back? Was it enough? Why was I so in love with this country? I don't have any of the answers to those questions ...




.... maybe in another chapter of my life I will figure them all out








.... or maybe not ...

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Such wonderful shots! Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a good time.

Unknown said...

Beautiful and brings back good memories to me too. Thanks! Hopefully you are feeling better now?